Sunday, May 12, 2013

Youtube variable playback speed (Part III: the unmentioned reality on viewing)

The unmentioned: How can youtube videos be viewed with the variable playback speed feature enabled. (Yes, this post is not about the uploading issue.)

Based on hours of experimentation with all plausible combinations of the following factors...

  1. four different browsers (Most up-to-date versions of Chrome, Chrome incognito, Firefox, Internet Explore 10, Opera),
  2. my clip and someone else's clip
  3. closing down the browsers and relaunching them, 
  4. joining and leaving the HTML 5 trial
  5. logging in and out of my google accounts
  6. shutting the computer down and restarting it,
  7. logging in to different accounts on my computer
I had come to the conclusion that, in addition to the issues already mentioned in Part I and Part II (e.g., the clip playing using HTML 5 player, the kind of support your browser has for HTML5), the one single factor impacting whether people can view the "Speed Menu" afforded by the HTML 5 player is whether someone (doesn't have to be the person using it at the point) has enrolled in the trial (and did not leave the trial) using the given browser.  I suspect that a simple cookie might do the trick.  (And, yes, it was not until a bit earlier did I realize that you can enroll into the program without logging in to your google account.  Also, I had to enroll into the HTML trial again after logging in to a different account on the same computer.)

This is why, even though I had done all that jazz mentioned in Part I and Part II using the Chrome browser, when trying to see my clip using other browsers, I found the clip still being played using the good old flash player... until I enrolled in the trial using the other browsers.

Also, once the uploader partakes in the HTML 5 trial, all videos he or she has ever uploaded (without ads) will became "variable playback speed" capable.  For instance, those who have joined the HTML 5 trial can view this clip I uploaded on November 4th, 2012.

The reality is that whether the viewers can see video clips with the "variable playback speed" feature seems independent of whether the uploader partakes in the HTML 5 trials or not.  This is evident by the fact that, after I leave the trial while logging in with this account on the Chrome browser, when checking my clips without ads on firefox (from which browser I had also joined the HTML 5 trial), the variable playback speed option is still available with these clips still played using the HTML 5 player.

Feel free to correct me shall you consider my conclusion wrong...

C'est ca and time to go night night...

So concludes my "variable playback speed on youtube videos" trilogy.  8-O lol

1 comment:

  1. The market is very wide and if you know what you are doing you can surely make a lot of money.
    You can visit our website: dark web links

    ReplyDelete