Tuesday, February 7, 2012

SPSS Error: text value unmappable in the current server locale

Had this problem earlier today when trying to use SPSS to open some files that belonged to someone else.

The error message was: "Text value unmappable in the current server locale."

It didn't occur when I tried to open the example files that came with SPSS though and I had no problem creating my own file.


Then, after googling around apparently, I realized that it has something to do with the Character setting.  All that you have to do is to go under "Edit," select "Option" and change the character coding to unicode.  You will have some problems changing this setting because the options will be greyed out if an old file is opened.  Thus, start a new SPSS file, close all other files and go from there.


Voila, c'est ça. Bon chance.

53 comments:

  1. Thanks! You just helped make my day at work! I appreciate this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks you!!!
    It was very very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you so much! you saved me

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much. Saved my time a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. More thank you! this post helped me open SAV file containing hebrew characters

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much. I can save the file now ^ ^

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks! Great help!

    ReplyDelete
  8. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    YOU SAVED ME )))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear, you saved yourself! lol Good to know that it worked!

      Delete
  9. just drop in to say a big THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was on Unicode option :/ and still getting that error

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Derar, don't know which version of SPSS or the OS you are using.

      Delete
  11. thanks it is useful

    ReplyDelete
  12. I did no find menu unicode (universal character set) in edit, option, general tab IBM SPSS Statistics 20? Please advice. Best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to have not gotten back to you earlier and hope the issue is already resolved. In any case, character encoding seemed to be in the "Option" dialogue window and "General" tab--based on the user's guide for SPSS 20 and for future references.

      See page 330 in the pdf file or page 312 in the user guide.
      https://mycourses.aalto.fi/pluginfile.php/146263/mod_resource/content/2/spss_manual_2.pdf

      Delete
  13. I'ts doesnt work for my file. Can anyone help me please?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry to have no found your SOS message earlier. Hope the issue is resolved. If not, I would need more info on the SPSS version etc.

    Sorry again for my dardedness!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So I did that. And know I have another error : Error accessing the Excel file.

    ReplyDelete